Monday, March 26, 2012

On the topic of connections...

In the interest of finding research and articles to better understand my topics of inquiry, I found a short article by Jennifer Frahm (2010) where she discusses businesses creating a "hyper-connected" marketplace through the accelerated speed of the Web 2.0 world. (Frahm, 2010)  I definitely experienced this on my recent vacation.  Not only am I now often asked for my email when making a purchase or eating at a restaurant, I am encouraged to "Like us on Facebook" to receive discount coupons, or "Follow us on Twitter" to keep up to date with the daily specials.  Frahm (2010) discusses how this also moves into a "cultural shift" within organizations and businesses where "more companies are discovering that an über-connected workplace is not just about implementing a new set of tools - it is also about embracing a cultural shift to create an open environment, where employees are encouraged to share, innovate and collaborate virtually." (Frahm, 2010, p. 48)  As consumers, we become part of this open environment and as a result, are also part of the collaboration and innovation.  We are asked opinions about products, suggest new colours or menu items, and are the easily accessible "focus group" for any connected company.

Upon our return from vacation, I had to unsubscribe or delete emails from many companies that I did not want to receive communication from, despite my willingness to provide my email - although I sometimes just say, "you already have my information" to save the stare of "why don't you want to give me your email, what's the big deal?"  Frahm (2010) says that as a "communication revolutionary" I recognize that my communities and networks are increasing in power, and she is right, I do realize this.  Even with the recent teacher strike in British Columbia, I could see how Twitter and Facebook were powerful i spreading messages and sharing powerful stories and links.  I also saw how frustrating it was to read tweets or posts from people who appeared to be ignorant, mean, and hateful.  Frahm (2010) warns against diving into this type of über-connected marketplace without understanding the culture or the social communication tools.  This was definitely my experience in evaluating my connectedness over spring break.

Frahm, J. (2010). At a crossroads. Communication World, 27(5), 48.

1 comment:

  1. I have experienced this too. I found myself almost unconsciously giving my email to a customer service rep at a store last week. It slipped out before I realized what I had done!

    ReplyDelete